As we told you a few weeks ago, we will be introducing our marvelous artists. The last time Patricio Delpeche got the podium, but this is the moment of the wonderfull Carolyn Bernahard. She is from USA, hence the language used in this post and for the whole interview. Without further delay here she is:
Name: Carolyn Bernhard
Location: California, USA
1. What does creative expression mean to you?
Creative expression is to give form to the amorphous, to shape meaning from the inscrutable.
2. What do you feel passionate about? What inspires you?
I am passionate about art as an empowering force, and I’m inspired by the complexity of human relationships.
3. What books do you consider important?
The books that have the biggest impact on me tend to deal with issues of identity, growth, and the relationship between the past and the present or future. Midnight Robber by Nalo Hopkinson is amazing. The Impressionist by Hari Kunzru. Geek Love by Katherine Dunn.
4. Is there any fictional character you feel identified with?
BMO from Adventure Time.
5. If your life had a soundtrack, what would be playing?
A lot of Ok Go.
6. What’s your guilty pleasure?
Terrible vampire fiction.
7. What’s a turn off for you personally?
8. Are there any topics that you visit often in your works?
Self-destructive tendencies is a common theme with my characters, as is fluid sexuality.
9. What are some rituals that you indulge in for work?
Getting caffeinated and putting on some good music about covers it.
10. When do you feel most uniquely you?
When I’m writing. I’ve always felt that I’m able to express myself more fully and eloquently through the written word.
11. When you built your characters and story for the anthology, did you draw your inspiration from any personal fetish or interest?
I drew inspiration from vintage erotica and early photography. There are some really beautiful and surprisingly kinky erotic photographs from the 1920s and ’30s and even earlier. And I just love old fashioned lingerie.
12. On an average day, how do you waste time?
Endlessly scrolling fantastic art on Tumblr and deviantArt and weeping bitter tears of envy.
13. What is your favourite dish?
Noodles. Basically anything with noodles. I can eat the shit out of some noodles.
14. During which time of the day do you accomplish your best work?
15. If you were an animal, which animal would you be? Why?
Probably a cat, because I am belligerant and fussy, and I like to sleep in the sun.
16. Choose a superpower and your supername.
I would love to have the ability to telepathically chastise bad drivers and negligent parents. I’d be The Scolder.
17. You walk into a public restroom and there are three toilet stalls, do you choose the first, the middle or the last? (there’s deep meaning in this one o.o)
The last? I don’t know, I usually just go in the first one that doesn’t have piss on the seat.